Man City Transfer Target rejects new four-year deal at club sparking new rumors
The Premier League champions are still involved in their search for a long-term replacement for Sergio Aguero this summer, as the situation around their main targets maintains a complicated status.
Tottenham have already reportedly rejected an Etihad’s first £ 100million opening bid for Harry Kane, while Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland or Inter’s Romelu Lukaku are apparently unlikely to want to leave.
This could draw Manchester City’s attention to other targets, including Danny Ings – who was identified as a potential option earlier this year, and the latest developments are shifting this particular situation in favor of Pep Guardiola’s side.
READ MORE: Benjamin Mendy identified as a possible target by the Italian giants
READ MORE: Important updates on Kevin de Bruyne’s injury status
According to a exclusive report by David Ornstein at Athletic Southampton striker Danny Ings turned down a new four-year contract at St Mary’s on Monday – a proposal that would have made him the highest-paid player in club history.
However, and perhaps more interesting for Manchester City and their hopes, it is reported that the 28-year-old ‘wants to test themselves at a higher level‘, which means Southampton now faces the dilemma of deciding whether to sell Ings this summer or risk losing him for free in the summer of 2022.
But what has already been reported around Danny Ings and potential Manchester City interest?
At the beginning of February, David Ornstein reported that the Manchester City recruiting operation was ‘sufficiently advanced‘to prepare for the idea of acquiring two new forwards during the ongoing summer transfer window – if that comes to fruition, Danny Ings has been named as one of those options.
However, a subsequent report from Sky Sports said the idea was not to have Danny Ings as an additional striker, but perhaps the main signing to the post this summer.
March 22, Lyall Thomas from Sky reported that while Manchester City were interested in signing Ings, the Southampton striker has also been identified as a ‘more accessible‘compared to Erling Haaland – which now certainly seems to be the case.
A bolder claim came from Football initiate days later, such as March 31, online media said Manchester City were preparing a ‘concrete‘move for Danny Ings in the’coming weeks‘- however, nothing major has developed since that particular report, unless there has been some behind-the-scenes affairs.
READ MORE: Raheem Sterling opens up about his form at Man City while serving in England
READ MORE: Tottenham manager provides update on Harry Kane’s future
For now, nothing more on Manchester City’s possible interest in Danny Ings, and City Xtra understand that the club will in fact return with an improved offer for Harry Kane at the end of the European Championships.
Club president Khaldoon Al Mubarak has previously stressed the importance of securing the best possible replacement for Sergio Aguero, given the stature and influence of the Argentinian – who has since joined Barcelona when his term expires. contract with Manchester City.
That being said, the latest developments regarding Danny Ings provide Manchester City with an ideal opportunity to sign a proven Premier League goalscorer at low cost, and given the tensions in the market and the interest in Jack Grealish, it may be a avenue for club officials to come down.
You can follow us for live updates here: @City_Xtra