Doha, May 2: Among the many associations founded and run by Mangaloreans around the world, one such association has not only become the identity of Mangalureans, but has also played its part in preserving, promoting and improving the culture, language and traditions of the Mangaloreans in the State of Qatar. , the jewel of the Arab world is the Mangalore Cricket Club (MCC).
As MCC completes 30 successful and fruitful years of existence, it would not be an exaggeration to say that MCC has been the identity of Mangalurians in Qatar. It is in and through MCC that Mangalurean expatriates in Qatar have discovered their own identity, spotted their talents, exhibited them for the good of the community. The MCC is a perfect “home away from home” where everyone is duly contacted, cared for and feels at home.
The inauguration of the celebrations of this landmark year began with the MCC Global Konkani Comedy Challenge held on a virtual platform this year from February 2022. Many teams from around the world participated in this competition which was broadcast every Sunday at 5:30 p.m. Qatar time on MCC Qatar. YouTube channel until April 2022.
In the series of events planned for the celebrations of this landmark year, the MCC is now organizing another exciting and challenging first competition “Global Baila Dance” for all dance lovers spread across the globe. The MCC always takes a leap forward in planning and entertaining the global audience and it is proof of organizing global events after the singing reality show “Soad 3 International”, the contest “Gulf Baila Naach “organized for the GCC countries, “MCC Global Comedy Challenge” online competition during the pandemic.
“Global Baila Dance” is a Baila dance video challenge competition held in association with the first organization “Mandd Sobhann”. This contest is open to everyone who is 15 years old and above without any religion or region or language bar but only performs to Konkani songs. This contest will be a mixed duet contest for men and women in a duet performance. It will air on Daijiworld TV, the 24/7 channel and stream on MCC Qatar’s YouTube channel and Facebook page.
The competition will take place in three phases:
1. In the first round, out of the total number of entries received, 24 videos will be selected for broadcast and telecast. Of these, 12 couples will be promoted to the semi-finals.
2. Semi-final – The 12 selected couples will have to record a dance on a new song and send it. Of these, 6 couples will be promoted to the final round.
3. These 6 couples will have to re-record a dance on another song and send their entry for the final phase.
Of these 6 couples, the best will be declared the winner and will receive the title of “Global Baila King” and “Global Baila Queen”. They will receive a cash prize of Rs. 1,000,000.
The first runners-up will receive a cash prize of Rs. 50,000.
The second runner-up will receive a cash prize of Rs. 25,000.
As this is a video contest, entrants, in their own interest, must ensure a good quality video recording (at their own cost). Only the finally edited version can be sent.
The song(s) selected for the video challenge must be in Konkani (any dialect), and songs in any other language will not be permitted.
The duration of the video must be at least 3 minutes 30 seconds and not exceed 5 minutes.
You can select a single song or a mix of two songs. However, the following points must be strictly observed:
1. Obtaining permission from the composer to record the song on video is the responsibility of the contestants.
2. Care must be taken to wear the correct traditional costumes as well as the relevant ornaments. If you have any doubts about this, please clarify the matter with Mandd Sobhann’s Dance Director – Rahul Pinto (85533 57578). Any video without the proper costumes and ornaments will not be given serious consideration.
3. Dancers should make a serious effort to learn and dance the correct Baila steps and movements and absolutely avoid mixing filmy, tapori, western or any other movement into the dance. Overall, the video – through the costumes, adornments, and through the movements and steps – should truly reflect and project the traditional Konkani dance form.
The award ceremony will take place in January 2023.
The link to the registration form is available via the link below and on the MCC Qatar YouTube channel
1. The Google registration form can be completed via the link below and is also available at
MCC Qatar and Daijiworld YouTube channel.
2. The deadline to register is May 31, 2022.
3. The deadline to “submit the video” is June 30, 2022. Videos must be submitted in MP4 format only, along with the prescribed application.
4. Before you start practicing, please send us the song with your registration to [email protected] email or whatsapp (+971 85533 57578). Only after getting our approval (via email/WhatsApp) can we proceed with the dance practice. This is done only to prevent the same song from being recorded by more than one and
to ensure that it is technically in order. It’s a first-come, first-served basis for song selection. Therefore, registration must be at the earliest to get a song of your choice.
5. For any clarification on song entry/selection contact Mandd Sobhann Dance Director – Rahul Pinto (+971 85533 57578). or MCC Cultural Secretary Amith Mathias +974 30942022).